2014-2015 College Catalog 
    Feb 01, 2023  
2014-2015 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Program

Academic Advising

Each student receives academic advice from a faculty member who helps him or her plan a program, explains the degree requirements of the College of the Ozarks and helps with individual academic problems. The Dean of the College assigns academic advisors based on the student’s declared major. Students desiring to change their advisor or major should go to the office of the Dean of the College for the appropriate forms. In addition, students may seek academic advice or assistance at any time in the office of the Dean of the College and/or the Registrar’s Office.

Academic Assessment

Each academic department has created an assessment plan delineating specific objectives and outcomes for its majors. Department members assess and document these outcomes through a variety of means which are unique to each academic department and include portfolios, external exams, and acceptance into continuing education programs. See Assessment of the General Education Program  for more information.

Academic Excellence

The College recognizes academic excellence in several ways. The Dean’s List, published at the end of each term, includes those students whose grade point average for 15 or more hours taken during that term is 3.60 or above. The President’s List recognizes those students whose grade point average is 4.00 in 15 or more hours in a semester. Students graduating with honors must have the following cumulative grade point averages (gpa is not rounded up):

Cumulative GPA Honors
3.60 - 3.74 Cum Laude
3.75 - 3.89 Magna Cum Laude
3.90 - 4.00 Summa Cum Laude

Academic Honesty

College of the Ozarks expects and demands high standards of intellectual honesty from its students. These high standards demand that dishonest work be rejected and that those students engaging in such work bear the consequences, which may include zero credit on assignments, failing course grades, and/or expulsion from the College.

Cheating on quizzes, tests, examinations, or other graded exercises is (1) borrowing someone’s answers, (2) providing answers for other students, (3) using unauthorized material during the exercises, or (4) the acquisition, without permission, of tests or other academic material belonging to a member of the College faculty or staff.

Plagiarism, or academic theft, is presenting the words or ideas of someone else as one’s own in an assignment without giving them due credit as the originator of those words or ideas. A student is guilty of plagiarism if he or she submits as his or her own work a written or spoken assignment that contains words or ideas copied from another person’s book, article, manuscript, notes, Internet site, calculations, translations, computer programs, or any other source. Obviously, turning in another student’s assignment or a paper totally taken from someone else’s work is plagiarism. But it is also plagiarism to reword or summarize the words or ideas of another author and present them as part of one’s assignment unless one gives the author credit. Plagiarism occurs when a student uses a sequence of words or ideas without having digested, integrated, and reorganized the author’s words in his or her own mind and without acknowledgment in the assignment.

Similarly, a student is an accomplice in plagiarism and equally guilty (1) if he allows his own words in outline or finished form to be copied and submitted as the work of another; (2) if he prepares an assignment for another student and allows it to be submitted as that other student’s work; or (3) if he keeps or contributes to a file of papers, speeches, tests, lab work, or other assignments with the clear intent that they be copied and submitted as the work of anyone other than the author. Students should keep paper and electronic copies of all their notes and all their drafts of assignments to help prove their authorship in case questions of plagiarism should arise.

Academic Records

The College complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. In accordance with this federal law, all materials relating to student educational records are confidential with the exception of directory information. NOTE: Any student wishing to have directory information withheld must notify the Registrar’s Office in writing within thirty days after the first class day of any semester.

College of the Ozarks has designated the following information as directory information and may disclose such information at its discretion:

  • Name
  • Current enrollment status, including full or part-time
  • Address (local, permanent) or e-mail
  • Telephone number
  • Date of birth
  • Major fields of study
  • Student’s photographic or videotaped image
  • Dates of attendance
  • Academic classification by year (e.g. freshman)
  • Awards and honors (e.g. Dean’s list)
  • Degree conferred (including dates)
  • Past and present participation in officially recognized sports and activities
  • Weight/height of members of athletic teams

Academic Year

The academic year is divided into fall and spring semesters.

Adding a New Course

A student is permitted to add a new course or to make a schedule change during the first week of the term at no charge. Consultation with the student’s advisor is recommended; resulting overloads or underloads will need the Dean of College approval.


Audit opportunities are limited to current students, faculty and staff with permission of instructor. A student may audit any course by enrolling on an audit basis at the time of registration, providing he or she has submitted the Application for Audit form by the end of the first week of class. Audit courses are not counted as a part of the academic load. The degree of participation for successful completion of audit is a matter to be decided and agreed upon by the instructor and auditor. Audited courses are paid for in the same manner as any credited hours including drop fees. Successfully audited courses will be recorded on the transcript with a grade of AU. A grade of WP or WF is recorded for unsuccessful completion or a dropped course.


Campusweb is the name used for the student, Internet accessible, software. The password protected Campusweb will allow access to the student’s personal student records, including course history (unofficial transcript), class schedule, class assignments, registration, and financial information. Grades will only be available through Campusweb or by ordering a transcript. Student accounts will not provide information by telephone, only through Campusweb or in person.

The password issued will access Campusweb and the student’s campus e-mail. The password allows access to the Campusweb after the student withdraws or graduates from the College; however, student e-mail will not be available after withdrawal or after June 30 of the year of graduation. Protection of the password is critical to security. Unauthorized use of someone else’s password is against school policy and may result in disciplinary action.

The e-mail address will be considered as a legal address for college notices. Students will be contacted regarding registration, schedules, legal notices, graduation, etc. through the campus e-mail. It should be checked frequently.

Change of Status

Students who wish to change their current student enrollment status (from part-time to full-time, commuting to residence hall, or residence hall to commuting) must apply to do so (see process below).

Application must be made well in advance of the semester that the desired change would go into effect. Applications should be submitted until February 15 for the fall semester and until October 15 for the spring semester. Applications submitted after these dates are considered as space and vacancies allow.

Criteria for changing status from resident to commuting

Currently enrolled resident students at College of the Ozarks may be considered for commuting student status if they meet one of the following criteria:

For students enrolled prior to Fall 2010:

  1. Be 21 years old and have a minimum of 90 hours academic credit by the first day of classes in which they intend to be commuting, and have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average at the time of application for change of status.
  2. Or be one of the following:
    • married
    • a veteran of the armed services
    • living with parent(s)/legal guardians

For students enrolled Fall 2010 and forward:

  1. In order to live off campus, students must meet one of the following conditions:
    • the student must be a documented veteran,
    • live with parents/legal guardians,
    • or be married

Students who do not meet one of these conditions must live in the residence hall. Distance requirements may apply to commuting students.

Application for change of status process

Students may apply for change of status online at Campusweb by clicking the student tab and selecting Change of Status request under Campus Resources. Students will be notified of acceptance or denial via e-mail at their cofo.edu e-mail address.

All change of status applications are subject to approval by the Dean of Admissions, Dean of the College, Dean of Students, and Dean of Work Education. Students should be in good standing with regard to academics, student life, and the work education program.

Students should be aware that upon application for change of status, they are declaring their intent to vacate their residence hall rooms for the following semester, and reinstatement of residence hall status may not be possible.

Change of status during semester

Student who elect to seek off-campus status that would go into effect during a semester, and are approved, will be charged for the full amount of room and board that semester.

For students who move into the residence hall after the semester begins, room and board charges will be prorated based on the date the student moves into the residence hall.

Students who elect to seek part-time status during the semester, and are approved, must work the full 280 hours for the semester.

Students are reminded that married students are not permitted to live in campus residence halls.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend classes for which they are registered and to meet course requirements in a satisfactory manner.

Excused absences are granted for students participating in officially sanctioned (Dean of the College approved) college activities and for students with a valid health clinic excuse. Students with an excused absence are allowed to make up missed class work. At the option of the instructor, the classwork missed as a result of a planned activity is due prior to the absence or a specific date set by the instructor following the excused absence. The names of students who are frequently absent from classes will be reported to the Dean of the College. Continued absenteeism may constitute grounds for suspension.

Students who elect to seek off-campus status during the current semester, and are approved, are responsible for paying the full amount of room and board for that semester.

Class Standing

Student classification at College of the Ozarks follows the traditional freshman, sophomore, junior and senior designations. Freshmen are those with one to 30 semester hours of credit. Sophomores are those with 31 to 60 semester hours credit. Juniors have between 61 and 90 semester hours. Seniors are those with 91 or more semester hours credit. Student classifications are based on completed hours. Cumulative Grade Point Averages are based on Grade Point Average hours.

Correspondence/Online Courses

See section on Transferring Courses. A current student needs to request approval of the Dean of the College to take courses at another institution.

Course Load

The approved course load is a minimum of 15 hours and a maximum of 18 hours in any semester (Exception: first semester students may be given a reduced load). Approval to carry an underload (under 15 hours) must be obtained from the Dean of the College. Students with an established College of the Ozarks GPA of 3.0 or greater qualify to take an overload without the Dean’s approval. Students without the qualifying GPA must obtain approval from the Dean of the College. The maximum approved overload is 22 credit hours. No student may drop below 12 hours (course hours for the semester; summer internship hours added to a fall schedule do not count in the course load) and remain in the residence hall. A student on academic probation may enroll for no more than 16 credit hours.

Course Numbers

Course numbers at College of the Ozarks carry three digits: for example, English 103. For freshmen courses, the first digit is 1; for sophomore, junior and senior courses, 2, 3 and 4, respectively. Courses beginning with a “0” (zero) digit are skill building courses and do not meet general requirements. Learning Strategies IDS 021 - Learning Strategies  , IDS 023 - English as a Second Language , ENG 013 - Composition Skills , and MAT 013 - Intermediate Algebra  do not count toward the 125 hours required for graduation. These course hours do count in the full-time/ part-time hours for the semester in which taken.

Students wishing to enroll in any 300 or 400 level course must have completed 45 credit hours OR must have permission from the instructor.

Course Rotation

Courses listed in the College catalog designated F/S are offered every semester. Courses designated as “F” are offered during the fall semester, while “S” courses are offered every spring. Courses designated as “F-odd” or “S-odd” are offered in fall or spring semesters of odd numbered years. Courses listed as “F-even” or “S-even” are offered during even numbered years in the respective semesters.

Dropping a Course

A student may drop a course during the first five days of a semester at no charge. Thereafter, drop fees will be applied as follows:

Week 2-3 $5.00   Week 8 $20.00
Week 4-5 $10.00   Week 9 $25.00
Week 6-7 $15.00      

A student who withdraws during the first five days of the semester will receive a W grade in all classes. After the first week of the semester until one week after mid-term, a student who drops a course will receive a WP or WF (withdraw passing; withdraw failing) grade. If the course is dropped one week after mid-term, the grade becomes an F. In special cases, such as a serious illness, a student may be allowed to reduce a course load beyond the usual deadline without penalty, but only with the approval of the Dean of the College. Courses beginning with a “0” digit are skills building courses and may not be dropped from the semester schedule.

The fifth (5th) day of the semester ends the official registration period for that semester. The number of hours for which a student is registered on the fifth day of the semester will determine the balance due for that semester. This balance due will not change even if a class is dropped later in the semester. Part-time students especially should note this policy.

Dual Credit Policies

College of the Ozarks: 1) allows high school students (approved by the high school) to enroll in appropriate lower division college courses taken on this campus for College of the Ozarks credit. (It is determined by the high school whether the college course will also satisfy high school credit requirements.); 2) does not provide College of the Ozarks credit through dual credit courses taught in high schools by high school instructors; 3) accepts up to five dual-credit transfer courses from accredited colleges provided the grade is C- or above and the course corresponds with College of the Ozarks offerings. Dual credit courses with grades of D and F will be counted in figuring cumulative grade averages but will not count toward CofO graduation requirements. Permission is required of the Dean of the College and the Registrar to accept more than five dual credit courses.

Experimental Course

An experimental course (X course) may be offered no more than once before it is terminated or recommended for permanent status within a department’s curriculum. The application requirements for an X course are as follows: (1) An X course proposal must be presented and discussed within the appropriate division. (2) The Dean of the College must approve the course before it is added to the semester schedule. If the division intends to offer the course on a permanent basis, it must submit a course proposal application to the Academic Council for processing through standard procedures.

Grade Changes

A change of grade, other than an incomplete, occurs only under very unusual circumstances. No grade can be changed after the deadline for posting of grades each semester unless a written request is submitted to the Dean of the College by the instructor and approved by the Dean. In no case may a grade be raised by special examination.

Grade Probation

  1. A student will be placed on grade probation after the semester in which the cumulative GPA drops below 2.00 or semester GPA is below 1.00.
  2. A student on probation must take 16 or fewer semester hours and take IDS 021 - Learning Strategies .
  3. A student with a semester GPA of 1.00 or less will be suspended from the College unless he/she meets cumulative GPA requirements.
  4. A student who is suspended for academic reasons is eligible to reapply for readmission after one semester; however, readmission is not guaranteed. Such students will compete better in the readmission process if they attend college elsewhere on a full-time basis and demonstrate ability to be successful in college level work.
  5. A student may appeal a suspension to the Dean of the College. The appeal must be in writing and set out the basis of the appeal.
  6. The Dean of the College may choose to extend probationary status if satisfactory progress toward raising the cumulative grade point average is evidenced.
  7. Any student who goes on grade probation will also be placed on financial aid probation.

A student on probation may not participate in auditioned theatre roles, student government, intercollegiate athletics, extracurricular college trips, auditioned ensembles, and other programs and scholarships that have grade point requirements. It is strongly advised that students on probation terminate any off-campus employment.

Many beginning college students do not realize how much time and effort a rigorous academic program demands; therefore, College of the Ozarks strongly encourages its students not to accept off-campus employment until they have proven that such employment will not jeopardize their academic program performance.

Grading System

Mid-term grades are reported to the Registrar’s Office for all D and F grades. Mid-term and final grades are posted on the Campusweb. Grades are only available on the Campusweb or by requesting an official transcript. The letter grades and their point values are as follows:

A = 4 B- = 2.7 D+ = 1.3
A- = 3.7 C+ = 2.3 D = 1.0
B+ = 3.3 C = 2.0 D- = .7
B = 3.0 C- =1.7 F = 0.0

Grade point averages are computed by dividing grade points earned by the number of Grade Point Average hours attempted. Hours attempted does NOT include I-Incomplete; WP-Withdraw Passing; W-Withdraw; WF- Withdraw Failing; P-Pass.

An Incomplete (I grade) may be given when the student does not complete required course work by the end of the semester; this is usually the result of illness or some other situation beyond the control of the student. The instructor of the course must submit an Incomplete Grade Contract, signed by the student, before the end of the semester in which the I is given. If the work is not completed within 30 calendar days of the beginning of the semester following the assignment of the I, the I grade will be changed to an F. Time limits in excess of 30 days must be recommended by the faculty member involved and approved in advance by the Dean of the College.

Letter grades A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, and D- are given in courses where more than 50% of the grade is based on evaluation of individual accomplishments such as tests, papers, performance etc. An additional 25% may be based on group assessments. No more than 24% of the grade may be based on class attendance.

Pass/Fail grades are given in activities or performance courses where 25% or more of the grade is based on attendance. All proficiency tests are graded pass/fail.

Grade Appeal

A student who believes an error has been made in the recording of a grade or that a grade is unjust must first contact the instructor. If the situation is not resolved, the student may appeal to the Division Chair and to the Dean of the College. A change of grade must be requested prior to the end of the first semester of enrollment (excluding summer) following the term in which the grade was assigned. For appeal of a work grade, the student should follow the procedure set forth in the Work Education Program  section of this catalog or the Student Handbook.

Graduation Check/Advising Worksheet

To assist students with scheduling and to monitor progress as course work is completed an advising worksheet is available on Campusweb/Student Resources. Students should request a graduation check (also on Campusweb) after the completion of 40 credit hours and prior to the completion of 60 credit hours. The request will trigger a review of the student’s academic record by the Registrar. The student and the advisor will be notified when the review is complete and should review, sign and return a copy of the advising worksheet to the Dean of the College office. After the graduation check process is complete students must obtain permission from the Dean of the College to change majors. Course substitutions and a request to transfer coursework should be submitted on the Course Substitution Request and/or Transfer Course Request form. A Graduation Extension Request form is also available. 

Graduation Requirements

  1. Completion of a minimum of 125 semester hours of credit with a 2.00 or higher cumulative grade point average (GPA). Remedial classes, including all College of the Ozarks classes beginning with a zero (0) do not count toward graduation.
  2. Completion of at least one major with a minimum of a 2.00 GPA for the major. Some majors have higher GPA requirements. A major must include at least 30 required hours (major/collateral) with at least 15 hours upper division (300-400 level) courses.
  3. Completion of all general education courses with a minimum of a 2.00 GPA.
  4. Completion of at least 36 credit hours of upper division courses. No more than six of those hours may be in internship.
  5. Students with transfer hours must complete a minimum of 45 credit hours at the College of the Ozarks. At least 12 credit hours must be in the major field including nine upper division hours. Exceptions may be made with the approval of the Dean of the College.
  6. Participation in the College Work Education Program as a full-time student for at least one semester is required for completion of degree.
  7. The last 30 hours of credit must be completed at the College of the Ozarks unless a waiver is granted in writing from the Dean of the College.
  8. The faculty and the Board of Trustees vote on all graduates. To be approved for graduation, all students must have satisfied all current degree and instructional requirements, as well as be in compliance with all College regulations at time of graduation.
  9. Students will graduate with either a Bachelor of Arts degree, Bachelor of Science degree, or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.

Graduation exercises are held once a year at the close of the spring semester. The exercises are held in two parts, the morning Baccalaureate service and the Commencement program in the afternoon. Attendance at both is required of all degree candidates unless permission to graduate in absentia has been given by the Dean of the College. Permission to graduate in absentia will be considered upon written application submitted before March 30. A $50 fee is required.

In order to graduate in four years, a student should, on the average, complete 31.25 hours per year. Some extended programs may take longer than four years. Full-time students need to have the permission of the Dean of the College to continue past eight semesters. Full-time transfer students need to have Dean of the College’s permission to attend past the date agreed upon and stated on the graduation check. However, no student may remain in college as a residence hall student for more than ten semesters.

Independent Study

With the approval of the instructor and the Dean of the College, a student whose grade point average is at least 3.0 may register for an independent study of any course listed in the catalog, but not in a semester when the course is being offered. This study will be pursued under the guidance of the instructor and may be completed at such time as the student is able to pass successfully an examination over the subject during the term for which the course is registered. Independent study courses constitute a regular part of the student’s college load. The regulations regarding the Work Education Program, registration, tuition and fees apply. For a student to take a catalog course by independent study requires special circumstances for approval and is not encouraged.

International Students

International students must comply with all Immigration regulations. If a student is unsure whether or not an action is legal, please see the College’s international representative in the Registrar’s Office for advice.

Basic requirements for maintaining full-time student status include:

  1. Having a valid passport
  2. Having a valid I-20
  3. Taking enough credits
  4. Working legally
  5. Reporting a change of address or name within ten days of the change.

Upon arrival at the College, international students must report to the international representative on campus with the following items: Passport, I-20, and I-94.

International students who plan to travel outside the United States are required to visit the international representative on campus to have the I-20 signed for travel. A visa may be required to enter countries other than your home country. Please check with the relevant embassy to determine entry requirements.


The opportunity to participate in an internship is a privilege and honor reserved for deserving students. The attitudes, behaviors, and work performances of students, while involved in internship, may reflect not only on the students, but also on the sponsoring departments and College of the Ozarks at large. Thus, students pursuing an internship should take seriously the responsibility associated with an internship. An internship is an experiential learning activity that occurs in an off-campus setting and is sponsored by the department in which a student is pursuing a major or minor. It includes a broad range of experiences, which are determined by a faculty member in cooperation with an off-campus supervisor. Any academic department may offer an internship. Students may receive monetary compensation for services rendered during an internship. Each internship credit hour requires a minimum of 40 contact hours at the off-campus setting. No more than six internship credit hours may be applied to the College’s 36 upper-division hour graduation requirement. Students must not be on any type of probation and must have junior or senior standing to participate in an internship. Further information and forms necessary for the implementation of an internship experience may be obtained from the supervising faculty. Applications must be returned to the Dean’s office prior to the registration period, or they will be treated as a course ‘add.’ Full-time students will need a full class load without consideration of internship hours (at least 12 hours) placed in a fall semester if the internship was completed during the summer. Applications for internships that begin in the summer must be submitted to the Dean’s office by the end of the previous spring term.

Joint Enrollment

Enrollment with another institution while enrolled as a student at College of the Ozarks is not permitted without prior approval from the Dean of the College. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES may a College of the Ozarks student joint-enroll with another institution and carry equivalent to a full load unless they are carrying a full course load at College of the Ozarks and are participating in the Work Education Program.

Proficiency Examination for Credit

Any department, upon application by the student, may consider the awarding of credit by means of proficiency examination in any course listed in the catalog in which the student is not enrolled, provided he or she has not completed a more advanced course in that field. Proficiency examination forms may be obtained from Campusweb and must be completed by a faculty member. As soon as the examination has been completed and passed with a grade of C or better, the student must pay a fee in the Business Office and obtain the signature of the Dean of the College before the form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office for recording of the grade, which is limited to Pass or Fail. Failure to complete the above requirements within one calendar year will result in no credit being awarded. Credit awarded by proficiency examination will not be included in the part-time/full-time hours a student carries for any semester unless a waiver is obtained from the Dean of the College.

Re-entering Students

Students re-entering college after an absence of one year or less may graduate under the requirements of the current catalog or the catalog under which they originally entered. If a student has been gone for more than one year, the current catalog must be used, unless a waiver is obtained from the Dean of the College.


Current students pre-register for classes each semester through Campusweb, which can be accessed either on or off campus, after the student has counseled with an advisor. Pre-registration dates vary by the number of cumulative hours a student has earned, plus hours being attempted in the current semester.

Pre-registered students will automatically be registered for their pre-registered classes, provided all holds added after the on-line preregistration period have been removed. Holds added after the preregistration period include BU-Business Office (financial), DS-Dean of Students (convo/chapel deficiency, etc.), DC-Dean of College (overload/underload), RE-Registrar’s (grad check), LI-Library (fines/overdue materials), HP-Health Clinic, DW-Dean of Work Education (work hours, etc.), FA-Financial Aid (financial aid). Students who do not have all holds removed or who have not pre-registered by the registration day printed in the academic calendar will be withdrawn from the College. Any pre-registered classes will be dropped. Students who wish to be reinstated may do so by the published deadline through the Cashier’s Office and will be charged a $100 processing fee.

Repeating a Course

A course may be repeated, but once a course has been taken the grade for the course will be entered permanently on the student’s transcript. Only one repeated course will be forgiven. Additional attempts of the same course will be included in GPA calculations. No course may be repeated for the purpose of raising a grade of C or above. If a course is repeated, the hours attempted and grade received for only the HIGHEST attempt will be counted toward graduation requirements. Courses with a C-, D+, D, D- or F from College of the Ozarks may be repeated only at the College of the Ozarks. Any exceptions require approval by the Dean of the College.

Testing Services

ACT testing services are provided by the College through the Admissions Office. Tests are administered on the six national testing dates.

Career planning activities, which include vocational interest testing and interpretation, are available through the Career Center. Test results and their interpretation are available in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. 

In addition, the Education Department offers College Base, MoGEA and Praxis II testing services. The College Base or MoGEA is required to be passed by all students seeking entrance to the Teacher Education Program; a passing score on the Praxis II test is required prior to student teaching and issuance of a teaching certificate by the state of Missouri. Tests are offered on several dates each semester in accordance with state and national guidelines. Additional information on specific testing dates, registration process, and cost may be obtained by contacting the Education Office at Ext. 2150.


Transcripts may be ordered in the following ways:

  1. ONLINE at the National Student Clearinghouse using a credit card. Online delivery options range from express mail to hold for final grades and/or degree conferral. Current students or alumni with Campusweb access should request transcripts from the Campus Resource section of the Campusweb Student page.
  2. IN PERSON at the Office of the Registrar.
  3. BY MAIL by submitting Transcript Request Form.
  4. Transcript requests for current students submitted during the final grade entry period will not be processed until final grades are finalized each semester. 

If any College of the Ozarks department or facility (e.g., the Library, Business Office, etc.) has placed a hold on your student record, you must resolve that hold before a transcript will be released.

Transferring Courses

Transfer courses from regionally accredited institutions with C- grades or above will be accepted by College of the Ozarks provided that they are not vocational or remedial courses. Transcripts are evaluated by the Registrar. If the student believes a transfer course has not been correctly evaluated, an appeal may be made to the Registrar, the appropriate Division Chair, the Dean of the College, and if deemed necessary, to the Academic Standards Committee. Transfer courses with grades of D and F will be counted in figuring cumulative grade averages but will not count toward C of O graduation requirements.

Unless the College has an articulation agreement with another institution, it cannot guarantee that credit hours earned at College of the Ozarks will transfer out. Transfer of course credits is solely a function of the other institutions’s policies.

A current student needs to request approval of the Dean of the College to take courses at another institution. Students should complete the the Transfer Course Request form (located on Campusweb) prior to enrolling in a course at another institution to ensure that the course will be accepted by the College. If the course is for the student’s major  or minor the approval of a faculty member in that department will also be required. NOTE TO PART-TIME STUDENTS: If enrollment in a course at another institution during the semester you are considered part-time student at CofO increases your semester course load to 12 or more hours, you first must be accepted as a full-time student and be accepted into the Work Education Program.

AP (Advanced Placement) or CLEP (College Level Examination Program): Students who have completed advanced Placement testing or College Level Examination Program should check the College website under Transfer Credits or contact the Registrar’s office regarding course credit.

Transfer credit time limitations: Courses completed within a ten-year period prior to transfer to College of the Ozarks will be accepted. Courses for a specific major or minor with completion dates that exceed the ten-year period may be accepted only with the approval of the appropriate academic department, Division Chair, and Dean of the College.

An Associate in Arts degree from a fully accredited college or university will fulfill the General Education requirements of this college, with the exception that each student must fulfill the required six hours of Biblical and Theological Studies (BTS 103  and BTS 383 ). The AA degree does not automatically fulfill the BA or BS distinction. The AA degree must be completed and verified prior to attempting the last 30 hours. Associate in Science degrees and Associate in Applied Science degrees do not automatically meet the General Education requirements of this college. Transfer students must complete a minimum of 45 credit hours at College of the Ozarks. At least 12 credit hours must be in the major field, including nine upper division hours. Exceptions may be made with the approval of the Dean of the College.

Additional information on transfer policies, including AP and CLEP and transfer equivalencies for local colleges may be found on the College website under Transfer Credits.

Veterans Benefits

A student eligible to receive VA educational benefits can obtain information concerning educational benefits from the Registrar’s Office. To avoid delay of the monthly payment, the veteran should file for a certificate of eligibility before the beginning of the first semester. Advanced standing credit for educational experiences during military service will be granted according to the recommendations of the American Council on Education, except in the case of the General Educational Development (GED) test, for which no credit is granted. The required physical education courses will be waived for veterans who have completed basic training. However, no credit will be awarded.

Withdrawing from College

A student wishing to withdraw from college either during the semester or between semesters should follow the withdrawal policy and procedure on the Campusweb or C of O Web site. Charges/refunds (see “Costs and Financial Aid ”) will be determined at the date of the withdrawal; all responsibility of the College for the student is terminated at the time the student is dropped from the College roster. The College reserves the right to dismiss students who fail to do satisfactory work, or who do not cooperate with the College’s official policies.

Students withdrawing during the semester and after the final drop date will receive marks of failure in all courses for which they are enrolled. Under special circumstances, a student may request to withdraw from college after the official drop date and receive a WP/WF in all classes with approval from the Dean of the College. In addition to completing the Registrar’s withdrawal procedure, resident students must check out of the residence hall with the hall supervisor or resident assistant. Failure to follow these procedures may result in loss of deposit or additional charges.